Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lost XP Built in Driver List

I set up a new computer for our AJ Manufacturing DC where they ship our Postframe Doors and Windows as well as our Access Doors for the HVAC industry. I ran into a problem when I tried to install an impact printer. The driver file is provided with XP and I was unable to download it from Okidata. I needed to install the built in driver, but it seemed that I was unable to view XP's built in driver list when installing or adding a new printer.

Here's the solution. Proceed with the install as normal and when the dialog box asks for printer model and it does not show any printer models, then press "have disk" and navigate or browse to C:\I386
In there is the Built in print driver list. When you hit OK, the XP built in list of printer drivers will show again for you.